Here we will show you two various processes to change the network priority on Windows 11. Once it comes to network adapters, it’s normally the Wi-Fi & Ethernet (Virtual Adapters for some users who use VirtualBox). Now in case, two or more adapters are active on the Personal Computer, then you would normally opt for the one that offers you a higher rate of data transfer.
In case we keep our attention on the speed parameter, at that time the numerical metric system is as follows [Source: Microsoft Documentation].
|Less than 500 Kb||75|
|Greater than or equal to 500 Kb and less than 4 Mb||65|
|Greater than or equal to 4 Mb and less than 20 Mb||55|
|Greater than or equal to 20 Mb and less than 80 Mb||45|
|Greater than or equal to 80 Mb and less than 200 Mb||35|
|Greater than or equal to 200 Mb and less than 2 Gb||25|
|Greater than or equal to 2 Gb and less than 10 Gb||20|
|Greater than or equal to 10 Gb and less than 40 Gb||15|
|Greater than or equal to 40 Gb and less than 100 Gb||10|
|Greater than or equal to 100 Gb||5|
Here you will learn how to do that. Given here are two various methods to modify the network priority in Windows 11.
Change Network Priority in Windows 11
Via Control Panel
- Go to the Start menu, you have to find View Network Connections and go to it.
- Here you have to right-click on the network whose priority you like to modify & choose Properties.
- Double-tap on Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) in order to go to its Properties.
- Tap on the Advanced button located at the bottom right.
- Now uncheck Automatic metric. Manually copy and paste the value in the Interface metric field.
- For instance, in case you want to give it the highest priority, write in 5 & press OK to save the changes.
- Similarly, you probably configure the metric for all the other adapters from the View Network Connections page. Ensure not to assign the same value to two adapters.
We conclude the first method to modify the network priority on the Windows 11 PC. Now let’s check out the second approach to execute the said task.
- First of all, you have to go to the Start menu, find Powershell, & set up it as an administrator.
- Type the following command to get a list of all the network adapters of your Personal Computer
- Note the interface index (IFIndex) value corresponding to the desired adapter.
- Bring out the following command, replacing IFIndex along with the value that you had copied above. IFMetric along the value as per your requirement (with 5 being the highest priority)
Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex IFIndex -InterfaceMetric IFMetric
- Similarly, you probably do this for all the adapters, replace their IFIndex & IFMetric values accordingly. Ensure not to assign the same IFMetric values to two adapters.
We round off this tutorial on how you guys could modify the network priority on your Windows 11 PC. Well, we have listed two various procedures for the same. In case you have any questions concerning any of these two methods, let us know in the comments section below.